Saturday, December 29, 2012

Freezer Meals~ How to

All Moms are busy: working, stay at home, or anywhere in between I think we all sometimes struggle to get a home-made dinner on the table. After eating out twice last week for dinner, I decided I needed to replenish my freezer and crock pot meals. I started yesterday getting some freezer meals set aside. I made a HUGE batch of meat sauce and a pot of Chili. I set a bowl of each aside for my Hubby and froze the rest. It is also helpful to make double-batches of the meals you are already making for dinner so you don't have to spend all day cooking.

*What You Need*

  • good-quality freezer bags
  • measuring cup, a sharpie (not a fine-tip as it may puncture the bag... found that out the hard way)
  • baking sheet to stack the bags flat for freezing
  • and of course food =)
 Once you are ready to use the meal you may choose to either thaw overnight in the fridge or place in the sink under cold running water. Heat in a pot (or microwave) and enjoy. =)

Meat Sauce =)


Chili



Make sure to label each bag with what is inside and the date. Once frozen, everything starts to look the same. If you are prepping food for the crock-pot it is helpful to add any instructions and cook time.




Since I use Meat sauce in many recipes, I decided to measure the amount placed in each bag.


I found is is better to use a measuring cup to fill the bags, because it makes much less mess than a ladle.



Lay flat and place in freezer or deep-freeze... I left it over-night.


This is how thin my Chili froze. It's a full meal and barely uses any space =)



Front view of frozen Chili =)

No comments:

Post a Comment