Thursday, January 3, 2013

*Thrifty Thursday*


I have an unnatural aversion to light-colored wood.... everything in my childhood home was either pine or maple. So after years of staring at a maple knife block, it was time to party.

That you'll need:
~ An ugly knife block
~ Acrylic Paint and Paint brush
~ 3D Paint
~ Pencil or Pen
~ You can either free-hand a design or print one from the computer.

First, you want to make sure the knife block is completely clean. Since its home is near the stove, I used a spray cleaner to make sure it was not only free of dust, but grease as well.


 
After cleaning your knife block and assembling your supplies, draw your design or use a pencil or pen to trace your design- make sure to press hard to leave an indention in the wood to help guide your paint. I used a white 3D paint.

 
I chose a "B" monogram for our last name.
 
  

After this step is it very important that you let the paint dry completely. Then, use a paint brush to paint the entire knife block the color of your choice... I chose my favorite, green =)


*The Finished Product*

 
 
"Ta-Da"!!! I absolutely love the finished product, it is subtle and adds color. A few other ideas include: adding the puffy paint last so it contrasts with your base color, using a decal instead of puffy paint, using decoupage or adding pattern. You may also chose to add a clear coat; however, it is not necessary. I hope you leave this post inspired to spice up your boring knife block =)

No comments:

Post a Comment